Various cultures have used Kratom throughout history over thousands of years. It has been one of the earliest cultivated plants that were cultivated by humans. Over that time, many people used it, and almost all of them were able to do so without harm.
While it is possible to experience what Kratom has to offer safely, it is important to practice the best harm reduction practices. One of the most common questions that people get confused about is what methods of ingestion are compatible with Kratom?
There are safe ways to ingest Kratom, and there are dangerous ways. Let’s look at what the difference between the two is.
Is It Possible To Smoke Kratom?
Technically it is possible to smoke Kratom as it is a combustible plant. Anything that can catch on fire can produce flames. Anything that produces flames will produce smoke, and anything that produces smoke can be smoked.
Just like with most other substances, there are plenty of other ways that are most likely more advisable to use if you decide to try and consume this substance.
Although it is possible to smoke the Kratom plant, this does not mean that it is a good idea.
What Are The Reasons That Someone Would Want To Smoke Kratom?
With most substances, if a user is ingested by smoking, they will experience the effects of the substance much more quickly and produce more potent effects. The same cannot be said of Kratom because of the nature of its pharmacologically active components.
These components break down at a lower temperature than the flame will be so that the smoke will contain the very little active ingredient. The biggest reason is to enhance the effectiveness of the plant. Sometimes people want to make the plant as efficient as possible so that they can get the most effects with the smallest amount of plant matter possible.
Sometimes users will mistakenly try to use Kratom by smoking it to enhance its effectiveness. While the effects may kick and quicker, they are unlikely to come on any stronger because the flame will destroy some of the plants’ active components in the process of smoking.
How Would A Smoking Kratom Work?
A person interested in smoking Kratom could theoretically get the leaves of the plant and crush them up. They could then take the resulting powder and put it into a tobacco pipe.
They could then smoke the tobacco pipe the same way that they would with regular tobacco. It would likely taste very harsh, and it would not produce very many effects. The smoke could potentially leave an acrid taste on the back of the throat or tongue. It could also lead to a yellowing of the teeth or many other negative cosmetic effects on the user’s dental area.
Why Is Smoking Kratom A Bad Idea?
There are a ton of reasons why it is a bad idea to smoke Kratom like this. One is because it is not a regulated substance; there is no guarantee that there are no harmful substances in the powder in your Kratom. There are plenty of substances that you can smoke that will cause serious harm to your lungs.
- There is no way for you to verify that the Kratom is safe before you try it. Smoking anything over a long enough time, it will lead to carcinogenic effects.
- If you were to smoke Kratom regularly, then it would likely lead to an increased chance of developing certain types of cancer.
- This would be especially true if you have a family history of developing these types of diseases.
What Are The Potential Long-Term Side Effects Of Smoking Kratom?
Several different potential long-term side effects could develop from smoking Kratom. The most serious consequence would be a dependence developing on the new opioid activity of the alkaloids that are found within the leaves of the plant.
- When a user smokes this plant, their bloodstream will be flooded with the plant’s compounds. Over time this can lead to the development of a dependence on the plant compounds for the body to maintain homeostasis. This means that if a user ceases to use the substance, their body will fall out of balance and develop symptoms similar to having the flu. These problems can persist for a long time and eventually begin to affect the users’ lives in many ways.
- It can make it difficult for a user to go very long without taking a dose of the plant. This can be inconvenient at the best and life-changing out the worst. It is always advisable to use the best harm safety reduction practices possible if you decide to use this plant.
It is also important to keep in mind that this plant is not useful in treating any type of medical condition. It is not a regulated substance and should not be prescribed to treat any type of medical problem.
Safer Ways To Ingest Kratom Rather Than Smoking It
There are plenty of ways to ingest Kratom that are safer than smoking it. The most common ways to ingest Kratom have been through the use of the powder, tincture, or an extract. Sometimes you can find the powder in a pre-encapsulated form.
- This will just be regular gelatin capsules filled up with the Raleigh powder of the Kratom plant.
- The most common method of ingestion and the safest will be simply eating.
- Sometimes people will mix some of the powder with a drink or with some food to create a kind of shake. This shake will then be eaten so that they can easily ingest the Kratom safely.
- Tinctures and extracts are other ways that can be an effective and safe way to ingest Kratom if you would like to try it. These remove much of the plant’s plant matter and leave only the plant’s active pharmacological components.
This makes it so that you can consume far fewer substance to elicit the same level of effects as you would if you decided to try using the raw leaf powder.