Kratom is hailed a holy grail to solve a host of problems. You’ve probably heard about the most common ailments it’s used for. One that isn’t mentioned most often is weight loss. Losing weight is a struggle for everyone. Sometimes you lack the motivation, the energy, or just crave food. Kratom just may be the solution to your weight loss struggles.
Kratom And Weight Loss?
The natives of Southeast Asian have used kratom for centuries. It’s been used as a traditional medicine for pain, fevers, sicknesses, and stimulation. Today, kratom use has reached all over the globe for different reasons.
Many people take kratom for various reasons. Some take it because they believe it helps with their mood or enhances their physical abilities. Others may take it for pain relief. One reason why more people are starting to take kratom is for weight loss. Now you are probably wondering how that works, maybe you’re a kratom user yourself and have never heard of this. One thing for certain is, it shows promising results in the research phase.
It should be noted that each person is different, so while some may not have much of an appetite, others might be more hungry than usual.
The Science Behind How It Works
Kratom has 44 alkaloids in the plant itself. Each strain has a different number of alkaloids based on the leaf.
- For example, the Green strains don’t contain as many alkaloids as the white or the red. The leaf vein also varies.
- For example, Red strains contain more pain-relieving alkaloids than the other veins. Green tends to be a more mild and balanced strain, while the white is thought to be more energizing.
There’s the source of the kratom too. A study conducted in 2018 found that the region kratom is grown affects the alkaloid content. This can be due to several factors. One reason is the soil and plant maturity. Another factor deals with weather conditions. Some suppliers also cut their kratom with other chemicals or strains of kratom, affecting the alkaloids.
The two main alkaloids responsible for the special effects of kratom are mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine. The potency of these two alkaloids has more of an effect on the body than the others. This doesn’t mean the other alkaloids don’t have a strong effect too. Other alkaloids like
- Paynantheine also, gives kratom its potency.
One of the largest studies to date show that kratom may have pain-relieving properties, suppress appetite, have antidepressant effects, and may help with opioid addiction. The acting on the mu receptor is thought to be an opioid antagonist which curbs cravings and suppresses appetite. While the research has shown promising results, more is needed before an official claim can be made.
What Strains Help with Weight Loss?
There are a few strains that users of kratom associate with for appetite suppression or increased activity. Maeng Da is one of those strains. It has a reputation for being one of the most potent types of kratom. Many athletes claim this strain increases their endurance and energy levels while reducing pain, allowing them to work out harder. While appetite suppression isn’t widely claimed, the balance is found with the increased activity.
Thai kratom is another strain popular for weight loss and happens to be the most potent kratom strain. This strain is known to be long-lasting and rich in the alkaloids Mitraphylline, Mitragynine, and 7-hydroxymitragynine. The main reason people tend to choose this strain is that it’s believed to provide
- Increased Energy
- Suppress Appetite
The drawbacks reported are restlessness and jitteriness.
Strains to Avoid
While kratom is general is regarded for many reasons, there are strains you should steer clear of if you are on a weight loss journey. A few of those strains that should be avoided are
These types are more known to increase sedation and offer pain relief. Now you might be thinking a high analgesic strain would be great for aches and pains from exercise. However, they combine with sedation and that doesn’t necessarily help when you need to complete an exercise routine. It should be noted that none of these claims have been evaluated by the FDA, so caution is needed when deciding to take kratom.
How Much Do I Need?
Kratom is all trial and error when it comes to taking it. Some users have better success with capsules over leaves and powder. Others prefer the quick action of the powder and leaves. Since kratom isn’t regulated by the FDA, there isn’t an official dosing standard. Many suppliers will include on their labels a recommended amount to take.
However, kratom usage depends highly on the user.
- Your weight
- How you Metabolize it
- How you take it all factor in on how your body will interact with kratom.
Things to Consider Before Buying Kratom for Weight Loss
There are many things you’ll want to consider before deciding on whether to take kratom for weight loss.
- One of the most important things to consider is where you’re buying your kratom. The most popular strains are the cheapest to produce and sell but are more susceptible to poor quality. The best way to buy is online and preferably one of the companies recommended by the American Kratom Association. These vendors are vetted by them and are 3rd party lab-tested to ensure the highest quality and free of contaminates.
- Another thing to consider is the strain type. Many of the strains that are recommended for weight loss are those that have been reported by the community as being energizing. It’s important to avoid taking before bed. Some of these strains may produce restlessness.
- The quantity is something else you want to think about. Since it’s not regulated by the FDA, there’s not a set dosage. You might have to experiment to get the best dosage. Suppliers will often include a recommended amount to take, but there’s no guarantee this is the right one for you or safe.